Think back to your elementary school, your middle school and your high school. Think about all of the teachers who have effected you, and influenced you. It is likely that you can recall more teachers than you would have thought.
The students living in the Nepali Himalayas are youthful and eager to learn. The majority of their teachers are from similar villages and can provide them the information they must learn from the text books, but as you know, there is so much more to life! The stories you share outside of the classroom and the information you teach in the classroom will have an uplifting and lasting impression upon every student you encounter.
- Gain real-world skills and international competency
- Build your résumé
- Make a difference teaching others about your own language and culture
- Experience a new culture and see the world
- Become an active member of the Nepali community
- Establish new friendships and contacts
- Give the students you teach an experience they can never forget
The school will ask you to teach English and possibly Math and Computers.
The students will expect you to teach them about culture, language, sports, music, and art. They will look to you for direction with their studies and for inspiration in their lives.